Landlords Gas Safety Inspections & CP12 Certification

CORGI Registered Gas Engineers Ayrshire

As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. It's your responsibility the all of your appliances are working correctly and have the landlord certificate as well so your tenants know you have checked for carbon monoxide.

Every rental property that has any sort of gas appliance Should have a Landlord Certificate. The Landlord Certificate can only be issued by a engineer registered on the Gas Safe Register. The Gas Safe Register superseded CORGI on 1st April 2009. Landlord Certificates are valid only valid for a year so if your landlord certificate is out of date call us now on 01563 542 207.

The Gas Safe (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 place a statutory duty on landlords to ensure the safety of all gas appliances under their control. For a concise explanation of the responsibilities of landlords under this legislation see the Gas Safe document Gas Safe Guide For Landlords.

In summary though, landlords are responsible for the safety of all gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants' use and must

  • ensure that they are maintained in a safe condition
  • have annual safety checks carried out on each appliance and/or flue
  • ensure that safety checks and maintenance are always by a Gas Safe registered installer
  • keep a record of each safety check for at least two years
  • issue a copy of the safety check to tenants within 28 days and to new tenants before they move in
  • ensure the safety of all gas equipment before re-letting
  • stipulate in any management contract who is required to arrange these checks

CP12 is the form provided by the Council of Registered Gas Installers (CORGI) to record details of the checks made and any remedial work carried out.

Note that, as well as the statutory inspections for the CP12 certification, there is an obligation to maintain gas appliances in a safe condition. Effective maintenance normally involves regular inspection and adjustment or repair as advised in the manufacturer's servicing recommendations. Most boiler manufacturers specify an annual service, so you would be well advised to get boilers serviced at the same time as the CP12 inspection is done.

As CORGI registered gas installers, Al PLumbing can help landlords fulfil their statutory obligations, as well as providing plumbing and heating services to you and your tenants. So call us now to discuss your requirement!

A L Gas Service Plan

Why not sign up for the A L Gas Service plan for landlords? Putting your mind at ease knowing our qualified engineers will fix the problem for you.

A L Gas Services

Call us now on 01563 542 207